How to add content and pages that are not part of the CMS

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Hi,

I would like to integrate Mr CMS into a site that has a lot of pages that aren't CMS based and will remain that way.

To test this, I'm starting out with a clean MrCMS website, and I'm trying to add a test controller, action and view to that website. I can't work out how to configure the routing to bypass MrCMS's routing. I would like www.mysite.com/test/test to be routed to the test action of my test controller and display the test view. How can I do this please?

Is MrCMS suited to integrating into current sites, or is it only really intended for use on purely CMS based sites?

Thanks,
Steve
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Edited Dec 18, 2014 at 1:38 PM
Hi Steve,

You should be able to override the routing by registering routes in the apps (e.g. like here). We removed the standard {controller}/{action}/{id} route, as it would prevent use being able to use a catch-all of our own to handle our own routing. However if you want to register custom routes (e.g. routing test/test to TestController and Test), you'd have to register that explicitly.

There will probably be other solutions that allow route constraints or something to be used more generically alongside the routing, but in current vanilla MrCMS, that'll be the way to go.

Hope that helps,
Gary
Dec 18, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Hi Gary,

Thanks. I can see from the source code that the whole way MrCMS works is if you want your application to include it then your entire website becomes a MrCMS website. It overrides HttpApplication and therefore takes over everything really.

I think we'll need to look for another CMS.

Thanks,
Steve
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Hi Steve,

You are right, Mr CMS has an 'App' structure where you build your projects out from. Its not really meant for running along side an existing application - Mr CMS gives a unified CMS experience for most type of websites. For example, we have built and eCommerce platform in Mr CMS and other bespoke applications for clients. Therefore if you were to use it I would create an App and port your data over into it.

Cheers,
Will