This project is read-only.

Creating an App

Jun 20, 2014 at 3:51 PM
Edited Jun 20, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Hello,

MrCms seems to be a very promising cms and I would like to add features to my MrCms project.
There are several things that I want to add but for example if I wanted to add:
https://gridmvc.codeplex.com/
I would have to create a GridMvc folder in Apps with the GridmvcApp.cs but then what is required as a minimum to have it running ?
Jun 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM
Hello,

This just looks like a control, you wouldn't necessarily need to create an app to use it.

Apps are more about large pieces of functionality. I.E you might use an App to create a blog or an eCommerce platform.

With the Mr CMS download there are 3 apps: CoreApp, ArticlesApp & GalleryApp. The only really essential app is the CoreApp as it has the most basic functionality such as logging in and create text pages and widgets. Although you could even write you own core App if you wanted.

Sadly we know that documentation is lacking for Mr CMS. We do however plan on releasing documentation with the 0.5 release of Mr CMS.

If you have a specific requirement for your project I'd be happy giving some guidelines as to how to build it.

Will.
Jun 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Edited Jun 21, 2014 at 12:14 AM
Thank you for your fast reply.

At the moment we are trying to setup kind of an intranet so we where thinking about using MrCms for the backend it provides and the fact that the modularity of it would make it easier to adapt while keeping the possibility of updating without breaking it all.
So I was just wondering what were the requirements to make an App (module) that would work with the main project (what files/bindings).

PS: A page can be showed or hidden of the main menu but it doesn't seems to adapt with the roles (like hiding a link in the menu when the user doesn't have access to it)
Jun 21, 2014 at 11:33 AM
I think what would be best in your case is to delete articles and gallery app. Then I would rename CoreApp to MyIntranetApp or whatever you'd like to call it.

From there you can amend the functionality of the navigation widget to adhere to permission rules - I.E hide links. In terms of adding functionality, just reference your DLL's in the main MrCMS.Web project and away you go.

Apps at the moment are separated off from Mr CMS functionality in that when it's time to upgrade you simply remove all folders except your Apps and Themes folder. Add the new Mr CMS files and then re-include your Apps and Themes folders and you're upgraded.

In the next version of Mr CMS we hope to have something of an App installer. A way of creating your App as a standalone DLL which is then installed. This will enable us to open a marketplace of Mr CMS apps more easily where people can share their code.
Jun 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Alright, thank you for your help and your reactivity !
Jun 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM
No problem, good luck with you project. If you have an problems just post here and one of us will try and help.